Tuesday, October 8, 2013

When Disaster Strikes, You Find Out How RICH You Are



It has been a little while since my last post. I apologize for that. I have been overwhelmed with life here lately.

I have let so many little things in my life dictate my happiness.  I let others hate and anger influence my life. I let my own anger seep out. I had a wake-up call last week. I was given a reminder on just how short life is and how precious family and friends are in a time of need.

Last week, a couple of very dear friends of mine lost their home to a fire. It was deemed a complete loss. They were left with literally nothing but the clothes on their backs. Thank God that no one was home and that they still have their family together. My heart has hurt for them. Not because they lost material things of this world. But, because as a mom I cannot even begin to imagine what they are going through with their children. Their toys, pajamas, beds, pets…all gone.

How as a parent do you explain this to your little ones? I have worked with local Red Cross and Salvation Army branches to offer some support, but it just feels like it isn’t enough. They are broke…but not financially. Their spirit is broken. I am sure they feel defeated and scared. There have been many people who have offered their support to this family. I have been blessed that God has allowed me to witness this generosity. Complete strangers are giving money and clothing to a family they know nothing about; only knowing that they are in need.  

This won’t be a long post, but I just want to be a reminder to all of you. Are you doing your part? Are you being a light in this world of darkness? Are you being a reminder to everyone that there still are good people in this world who care? If you can’t answer yes to these questions, please take a moment and evaluate what you can be doing differently. I will be praying for you.

~Meghan

Anyone interested in helping the family can contact me at meghandanielle1982@gmail.com and I will be glad to give you more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment