Thursday, September 12, 2013

Broke Momma Becky

Everyone knows me as The Missouri Mom formerly Adventures Among Us.  I have recently discovered most think I am living the high life working from home, traveling, and having everything I
want.....sadly this is untrue.

Like Meghan, I am in debt and while I don't blame people for my debt, I do know 3/4 of my debt was unavoidable.  I have what you call "divorce" debt, the debt you rack up when you go through what I would call a never ending divorce.  

A divorce is something you cannot really plan for or at least I didn't, I now tell newly married couples to throw the marriage license away before they turn it in or start a saving account to pay for their divorce the day they marry.  I know that is harsh words, but in my head I would have been married until death do us apart, unfortunately that is not true.

Here is the reality of it, if you are planning to get a divorce (if that is something you can truly plan for) get a JOB, don't be that loving caring wife that stays home with the kids and cooks meals for her family. Have a job that you can support yourself on, then start saving for that attorney...even if you are happily married save for that OMG I didn't know moment.

What I have learned is while you may be ready to settle on your divorce, attorneys, the state, and anyone else that can be involved will find a way to drag your divorce out for months, maybe years longer.

While I have an ample amount of money to get by, I seriously know what it is like to scrap the change out of the bottom of my car just to buy my kids a soda.  When I say I am broke, I get well that is what you get, like I am being PUNISHED for being the stay at home mom!

For all of you that look around and complain about food stamps and government assistance programs...I know there are people who live off of the system, but in reality have you ever tried to file for assistance, get help, or find out what is available...reality check, it is NOT THAT EASY.

I spent 3 hours waiting for my case worker to call me back 3 days ago, then I get a letter in the mail stating she had tried to reach me, REALLY???? I called her, she said I will call you back at 2:10pm when I get back from lunch, well that must have been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG lunch, because she still has not returned my call!  It is NOT that easy, I assure you!

Folks, while I am not begging for sympathy, asking for help, or wanting you all to hand over money to us, although I do pray everyday to win the lottery that I don't play, I am saying DON'T KICK A SICK DOG WHILE WE ARE DOWN.  We get it that we are broke, we don't need punished, we need to vent, we need to CONNECT with other broke folks, and we need to let our frustrations out!

I must run now, I have to go and wait for that caseworker to call me back after she gets off her lunch break she took 3 days ago!

~Becky
  










Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment